Bruce

Default opinions sought for full-time cruiser Tools and Spares selection

What not to bring is a better idea. I was going to take spare injectors
until the guy who owned a diesel repair facility is St Thomas told me that a
spare would last 6 months at best before the tip would go bad. I didn't
take any and I never needed one. My advise is to go through the boat and
write down every piece of gear you have on the boat and pretend it is going
to break. Go shop for replacements. If you can easily find a replacement
here, you can find it in the Island chain. Budget Marine is generally
better stocked than West. If you can't, then start watching ebay for a
spare. A friend came through yesterday with a Simrad Autopilot problem. It
was going to cost him $750 for a circuit board. This is the kind of stuff
to look for when filling up hiddy holes. If you have a watermaker, then
take a spare membrane but not a rebuild kit for the pump.
Congradulations on you new boat...it has been a long road.

On rebuilding the Endeavour, I went to replace the headliner and found that
the moorons who built the boat, installed all the headliner wood in the
coach roof...stapled in the headliner and then mated the top to the hull.
All the wood is running over the top of the bulkheads and you couldn't take
down the headliner. I developed a technique to cut the wood out and will
post photos of the process at a later date on my website. After I get the
wood removed, I am going to reengineer the coach roof by adding stiffeners
and the Velcro the headliner in place in 2' sections. The roof of a 43 is
like a diving board.
Later
Bruce