Jere Lull Jere Lull is offline

Default Maine Passage - Day 5

On 2008-08-03 19:44:26 -0400, Rick Morel said:

There is a tuning tool available, but it's just a sort of spring
loaded thing with a ruler. A human thumb and ruler is a lot cheaper
and works just as well.

It's a Loos gauge.

I don't sail without one, as perceptions of tension will change through
the season. If nothing else, later in the season, our idea of
"moderate" winds goes up, so the stays flop more.

Having an actual number to compare makes things more certain. I check
our tension periodically, which helped me detect a bulkhead rotting
away in a hidden corner in time to prevent serious damage. The mast
dropping about 3/16ths of an inch made a real difference.

--
Jere Lull