[email protected] JamesGangNC@gmail.com is offline

Default Head Gasket Selection for Merc. 5.0

On Aug 7, 11:47*am, JR North wrote:
Any reason I should have to grab my ankles for the 2X cost Mercruiser
head gaskets if the engine is FWC? Instead of regular automotive gaskets....
JR

* * * * Home Page:http://www.seanet.com/~jasonrnorth

If you mean the engine has a closed cooling system then if you also
put antifreeze with corrosion inhibitors in it then you could use the
regular small block head gaskets. But if you just put plain water in
it then I would still use the gaskets with the stainless steel
cylinder rings. Don't know how much merc wants but the felpro gasket
with stainless steel is about $40 apiece. You can find them pretty
easily online and possible locally as well. I've always used this
gasket instead of buying them from the boat store. I'm sort of
interested in how many $ merc wants though? Can't argue about trying
to avoid them as regular sb chevy head gaskets are a dime a dozen
compared to these.

Here's summit's listing for them. Hot rodders also use them as "hi-
performance".

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...part=FPP-17030