HK HK is offline

Default New Trailerboat

Short Wave Sportfishing wrote:
On Wed, 6 Aug 2008 02:08:52 -0400, "Eisboch"
wrote:

"hk" wrote in message
. ..
I realize there's not many here interested in boats, but there might be a
few lurkers who are.

This is a factory-supplied photo of a new offshore *fishing* boat that has
just been launched by Parker. It is hull #1 of actual production.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...railerboat.jpg

Yes, those are twin Yamaha F350s on the bracket. The boat is a 34-footer
and does about 55 mph at WOT.

I don't know what the market is for this boat. It certainly isn't a volume
product.

The interior is far less Spartan than is usual with a Parker, but it is
still a fisherman's craft, so it isn't like your typical bubble boat in
the main or forward cabin. The head, sink and shower are enclosed, there's
a vee-berth forward, there's an actual mechanical/plumbing room.
Main cabin has a command chair and a large area for electronics. There's a
wrap around bench and table, and a sink, stove, refrigerator/freezer.
That's what is easily visible.

The cockpit has a large and pretty fancy (for Parker) 2nd command console.

Pretty hefty trailer and tow vehicle, probably NOT an F150.

I know you like Parkers, which is fine, but to me, this simply looks like a
big, obese and overgrown version of the 25 footer.

The huge Yamaha outboards further reinforce that image. It might look
better if it was set up with twin inboard diesels. Some larger boats, like
a Yellowfin 34 or 36 CC offshore fishing boat look natural with big
outboards and they preserve space for fishing and gear. IMO, the Parker
just doesn't look right with twin monsterous outboards.

What struck me was how unbalanced the boat looks on dry land - all
that cabin up front, huge stern deck and then the engines. It just
looks unbalanced. I'm sure it's a sound boat - Parker doesn't build
junk boats - it just looks odd.

Yeah, odd is a much better word.

It's just a bit bigger than you are used to seeing in that size boat.

Put it another way...if I removed the center console from my Parker, I
believe your Ranger would fit inside and you wouldn't see your boat's
gunnels, and our boats are about the same length.

These are pilothouse style boats, and very traditional in proportions.
The cockpit is huge so as to accommodate the largest possible number of
fishermen. You obviously prefer a different style. I've always liked
workboat type boats.