Andrew Butchart

Default Centre Board Slot

I'm currently working on a Phil Bolger designed plywood sailing pirogue (the
CSD one). Even though the original design calls for a lee-board, I can't
leave well enough alone and am planning on an off-centre centre-board.

My question is about protecting the hull bottom at the centre board slot.
On previous boats (with a dagger-board), I just added some fibreglass tape
around and overlapping the slot, but I was wondering for this one if perhaps
some sort of shoe would be appropriate, and if so what (inexpensive and easy
to find) materials might be suitable. I'm intending on using this boat in
locations where I will have to paddle up a rocky river to a sailable lake.

Thanks

--
Andrew Butchart

http://www.floatingbear.ca