Bruce in Bangkok[_7_] Bruce in Bangkok[_7_] is offline

Default Soul searching about a sailor in trouble

On Sun, 03 Aug 2008 08:59:57 +1000, Herodotus
wrote:

On Sat, 02 Aug 2008 15:58:06 -0400, wrote:

First you have to be dumb enough to use old tires for fenders.

I don;t know. Sure are a lot of boats using them... maybe somebody
knows something we don;t know?

The masses often make foolish choices. Just because you see a lot of boats doing
it, doesn't make it smart. It may even increase the odds that it's stupid.

Thank you. It appears that I and many others are obviously not smart
and are stupid.

Apart from using commercially available small boat fenders for which
the aforementioned conditions would warrant too many to be able to
stow or utulise afterwards, the only other option I can come up with
is not to sail to these places or stay at home.

Is there another option that has somehow missed the masses in their
"dumb enough" emulation of each other?

regards
Peter

Obviously you are not a REAL SAILOR since if you were you would send
off to West marine to get some new, pristine, white, fenders ( I know
that this is the way real sailors do it as I once knew a "real sailor"
who convinced a group of yachties join together to order batteries
from W.M. and have them air freighted from America to Langkawi,
Malaysia).

Once you receive your fenders (they really do look good) you will need
to buy a bicycle pump to inflate them, which, as it can be stored away
in a locker out of sight, you are allowed to purchase on the local
economy, and then (Lord they are beautiful) you will understand the
need for "Fender covers" which, again, you can procure from W.M. and
have shipped to you nearly anywhere in the world.

Once you have obtained your beautiful new fenders, and clothed them in
sparkling new clothes, you have the problem that brushing against some
filthy jetty might discolor them.

One solution is to purchase a length of Sunbrella cloth and make a
curtain (sometimes people use old sails for this but it is not as
elegant a solution) to go between the fender clothes and the grotty
jetty.

Of course, you will need to have this curtain sewn by your local
sail/canopy maker using special thread and be very, very, sure that he
installs stainless grommets to attach the white (Must be white)
lanyards to attach it to the side of your boat). Do Not, under any
conditions have this done by the old guy, down to the corner that sews
truck tarpaulin!

This curtain will protect your pristine new fenders (clothed with
sparkling new fender covers) thus protecting your boat.

Or, you can go down to the second hand guy and buy some tires for
$0.50 a set......

Bruce-in-Bangkok