Canuck57[_3_] Canuck57[_3_] is offline

Default GM loses big-time

"Larry" wrote in message
"Don White" wrote in news:48946978$0$4011
:

http://www.wheels.ca/article/29504

Wow! Thanks!

"By the numbers

Distance (Halifax to Vancouver): 6,168 km
Diesel fuel used (total): 337 litres
Average fuel consumption: 5L/100 km
Total cost of fuel (average $1.05/L): $353.85"

His diesel must be set a little rich and there are several programmers for
the EPROMS in it to improve the mileage. A team of Italian auto
journalists took a smart from Rome to Nuremberg over the mountains and got
3.3L/100km with two adults aboard and luggage. I think it depends on
their
driving habits, too. He was trying to rush it in 9 days so probably kept
his foot in the injection pump most of the way, giving us a sort of worst-
case-scenario figure.

It's just awful that driving this tiny diesel car STILL costs $CN350 to go
across.....in a country with plenty of oil...but the same central bankers
as us.

I will stick with my F150. @1.05L, say gas was $1.10 at the time, but
closer to $1.25 now for either... could make it in nice A/C roomy comfort,
quiet, stereo and not crawl up BC hills for $1000. So I would save $647 or
so for 9 days travel. Ok, well I would like to save $647 but to be in a
seasonal vehicle cramped?

I still want to see those PR people do that in January on the same route in
Canada. Or do that Miami to San Diego in July.

Would not doubt the pettle was to the metal. Doing the prairies, 55mph
(almost 90kmh) is well, so boring. Want to do at least 70mph (112kmh or
so). Probably 120kmh. Which does increase fuel use. My F150 seems to get
the best mileage between 100 and 110kmh with cruise on. When you hit the
prairies, you make a small but steady rise in altitude that will drop your
mileage. Winter also drops it further. From Regina to Calgary you go from
600 to 1100 meters. From Calgary to Rogers pass, add another 250 meters for
1350 or so. 3.28 feet in a meter makes 4428 you peek altitude. In Thunder
Bay, only 310 meters on the shores of Lake Superior. But I do notice my
F150 fuel mileage goes right up at lower altitudes. Always seem to leave
sea level Vancouver wondering if their fuel is somehow better.