Edgar Edgar is offline

Default Soul searching about a sailor in trouble

"Herodotus" wrote in message
On Sat, 02 Aug 2008 19:20:19 +0700, Bruce in Bangkok
wrote:

First you have to be dumb enough to use old tires for fenders.

I don;t know. Sure are a lot of boats using them... maybe somebody
knows something we don;t know?

Bruce-in-Bangkok

A lot of cruising boats traveling through the European canals swear by
them as they often lie alongside barges. I have often seen them in use
(small car ones, not trucks) in harbours in Spain and Italy where
boats are moored to the quay or marina dock and packed in so tightly
that it is normal to touch each other. Normal boating fenders can get
torn off as one yacht rocks in a swell and pulls its neighbour's
fenders downwards.

Makes sense to use tyres in this case.

Peter

Yes, that is right.
I took a yacht through the Canal du Midi in France some years ago. People go
through with tyres all round the boat since you never know how many barges
etc they are going to cram into the locks with you.
When you get to the other end you just leave the tyres on the quayside for
someone who is going the other way. Good system, works well.