Michael Porter Michael Porter is offline

Default In Praise of AIS

"Armond Perretta" wrote:

I have had miles of wire and tons of electronics on my small sailing boat
for quite some time, but only recently hooked up an AIS receiver (Smart
Radio 162 feeding Capn 8.3)). After only a few sessions with it (and those
while moored in a small cove in a small bay here in NJ), I must admit that
it opens a whole new chapter in safe boat management. I was able to pick up
commercial vessels well over 35 miles away, and the system seems simple
enough that I don't expect much trouble keeping it going. Any thoughts from
folks using similar gear?

Right -- now all we need is to get the idiot FCC off their butts to
approve Class B transponders and we can join the rest of the world!
Sure, you can get Class A now, but at 3x the price, which is enough to
make me pause.

Michael Porter Marine Design
mporter at mp-marine dot com
www.mp-marine.com