Dazed and Confuzed

Default Bilge pump switches

Lew Hodgett wrote:

"Dazed and Confuzed" writes:

Lew:
let me explore other options first. Price IS an object (I'm cheap) and I

think
that I can build a switch cheaper than that. I can, if need be, use a

couple of
op amps and make a level sensor. I was hoping to buy a pre made mechanical
switch, but if not.....

Others have gone before you, but we still sell a lot of switches.

You will never build a reliable float switch. Low cost, yes, reliable, no.

Good luck.

BTW, on my own boat, never have or will have a bilge pump level switch.

Rather, have a Son-O-Lert or equal obnoxious noise maker wired in parallel
with the pump.

You KNOW when the bilge pump is running.

It runs when it has to run, but not unnecessarily.

Gets the job done, is low cost, and keeps the bilge dry.

Works for me.

--
Lew

Visit: http://home.earthlink.net/~lewhodgett for Pictures

What do you do when the boat is unattended if you don't have a level switch?
And what do you think about an electronic level switch? a couple of op amps and
some sensors, and a few resistors. Not much to go wrong, and a low power
consumption. of course, oil is an issue, but aside from that, what are the
drawbacks?

--

Don't like the looks of nudists? Complain to the manufacturer.