Eisboch Eisboch is offline

Default GM loses big-time

"Larry" wrote in message
"Eisboch" wrote in news:
:

Automakers build what the consumer buys.

Eisboch

This consumer is trying to by a DIESEL Smart ForTwo but Smart USA doesn't
want to sell me one....dammit.

I may toss caution to the wind and fly to Canada and buy one, even used.
They're plastic so the salt doesn't eat them up there. The diesel is
important to me as I want one to burn on Vegetable oil like my other
diesels do.

The "Smart" car's availability in the USA is a little confusing. For
several years a company (forget their name) have been importing them,
modifying them to meet US safety standards and selling them. This was done
without the blessings of Mercedes, who owns the Smart car product line.

Mercedes has introduced "official" Smart cars to the US market, but as you
have discovered, only two models are currently available. If demand
warrants, they plan to make available other models, including the diesel.

That's how I understand the current situation. I also heard or read that
Mercedes was going after the company that was importing and modifying them
to curtail their business.

You need to make sure you are buying from a dealer who is officially
authorized by Mercedes. Otherwise, warranty issues may not be honored.

I've also considered buying one, just for fun. Still thinking about it.

Eisboch