HK HK is offline

Default GM loses big-time

Richard Casady wrote:
On Fri, 01 Aug 2008 16:24:44 -0400, hk wrote:

There are no more new Evinrudes, just as there are no more new Indian
motorcycles. The lineage of both is dead and buried; just the name
survives.

There haven't actually been any since the fifties or before. Just
Outboard Marine, sold under the names of both Evinrude and Johnson,
for the same engines.

Casady

Not entirely true. Outboard Marine's predecessor company, ELTO, was
founded by Ole Evinrude, and his son, Ralph, formed OMC and served many
decades as its chief exec. In later years, the Johnson and Evinrude
brand names had some products identical under the cover and some
different. I recall a 5-1/2 hp Johnson, a 7-1/2 hp Evinrude, a 10 hp
Johnson, a 15 and 18 hp Evinrude. I believe both lines had 25 hp
engines. I think from that point on, both lines had the same engines
under different hoods and in different colors. There also were some
9-1/2 hp engines built to stay under the 10 hp limit on some lakes.
Ralph Evinrude retired in the 1980s.

My father was an Evinrude dealer from the end of WW II until the mid
1960's, when he dropped Evinrude and took on the Merc line. His best
friend was a Johnson dealer. His friend's boat store and marina is still
operating, though I don't know who is running it. I sold my father's
boat store within a year of his death and we sold the marina property to
a - blech- condo developer.