Wayne.B Wayne.B is offline

Default In Praise of AIS

On Fri, 1 Aug 2008 09:09:01 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Aug 1, 5:57*am, "Armond Perretta"
wrote:
I have had miles of wire and tons of electronics on my small sailing boat
for quite some time, but only recently hooked up an AIS receiver (Smart
Radio 162 feeding Capn 8.3))...

I am in the middle of hooking up my new AIS system. I have an
AISWatchmate hooked up to an SR 161 and have a pile of wire, solder
and DB9's on my desk. As soon as I deconstruct the furniture and pull
the wire I should have a computer link. Meanwhile I have the
Watchmate working. It was picking up 89 targets last night out to 80
miles while sitting at the dock here on the East shore of SF Bay. The
combination of the antenna splitter, 161 and watchmate take so little
power that I can't detect it over the noise with my clamp on amp
meter. All in all, it seems pretty cool on first blush.

Who makes the Watchmate, and where can you get it?