Paolo Zini

Default Okoume in strip-planking

I received a reply from paulownia.it.
Mechanical properties of this wood are very good, really comparable with
the best Red Cedar.
There are large areas of new platations in growing, mostly in the North
Italy plans, but not yet considerable productions.
Price is still too high: 800-1000 Euro / cube meter.

1000 euro for what? green wood, plank or strips? It would be different...
Anyway 1000 euro/cube meter is interesting...
Last year, I was evaluating Woods designs and I have requested the price for
WRC, planks to be cut in strips, and it was higher... and I was forced to go
the extreme north or to extreme south of Italy to find some WRC.
For a cat similar to the one that I am building (cat 254 from Fisher) 1 M^3
of wood is more than enough for hulls, if memory helps...
I would gather more info...
A comment... Designs like Dudley Dix radius chine, can be built using strip
planking for the chine sections, in place of cold molded panels... You
agree? :-)

Paolo