Backyard Renegade

Default Luan 1/8" for skiff?

Dan wrote in message .. .
I've never done it, so that may disqualify my thoughts on the matter
instantly but....

1/8 Luan is designed for use under soft flooring material, to level out
any imperfections in the sub-floor. That implies two things, 1) it has a
relatively high compressive strength, and 2) for short distances (1-3
inches) the tensile strength of the skinning material is pretty good.

I would think that coated on both sides with epoxy or polyester resin (
and gelcoat if poly) the material would be fine for small, one or two
person boats, less that 10-11 foot. Coated with good fiberglass, even
better.

The problem is that inner layer. Like William said, it is like rods
and frequently has voids that run full length or nearly, hidden under
the skins. Many times these voids do not show up until you cut, sand,
or snap the piece putting it in. Anyway, the fact that the center is
harder wood, and frequently void filled, it makes the softer outer
skins prone to snapping, much like scoring a tile or piece of glass
then bending it...
Scotty

jotis wrote:

Do you think it is possible to build an 8-foot skiff or dinghy using 1/8"
luan?

Joseph