posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats.electronics
Jere Lull Jere Lull is offline

Default Garmin losing satellites

On 2008-07-30 08:45:15 -0400, jeff said:

At the height of the storm, the GPS lost its connection, and would only
come back after a a full reset (faster than the initial cold start, but
slower than a normal power up). This was repeated several times during
the storm.

I assumed that the problem was the lightening, but I noticed also the
the little rubber cap on the unused connector was off, and it would
have been pelted with heavy rain, so it also could have been the
problem. The unit has worked perfectly since then.

Lightning can of course interfere. I find that we sometimes lose the
GPS under heavy cloud cover.

Our antenna connector sometimes needs a bit of a 'tweak' to improve
reception due to age & corrosion, as well, but you shouldn't have that
problem with a nearly new unit.

You *might* get a bit of problem if you get an unused connector wet.
Wouldn't hurt to seal it up.

--
Jere Lull