Herodotus Herodotus is offline

Default Single handing and watch keeping

On Wed, 23 Jul 2008 19:26:29 -0700, Gordon wrote:

Here is a link to a single handers thoughts on watch keeping

http://www.latitude38.com/changes/Ch...tml#moonduster

A little background on Wayne,
An Apple multimillionaire exec who quit to enjoy life. Said
to be a little eccentric.

Actually, he is probably keeping better watches than crewed boats.
Gordon

I made an electronic gizmo with a digital timer that plugs into a deck
outlet. It can be set to whatever period one wishes but I chose 1200
seconds or twenty minutes. On the top is a large waterproof
pushbutton. If I do not push the top button to stop the count within
the twenty minutes, a very loud piezzo alarm sounds which will awaken
the dead. I stand up, slowly do a 360 degree scan using mainly
peripheral vision, lie down again and press the start button for
another countdown. I found that I usually awaken by about the 1180
count.

I have found that I can easily do at least 12 to 14 days of this
without any mental effects. After that, unless I have a longer deep
sleep, my mind starts playing tricks.

It is a simple and very effective device to make. I had previously
bought a couple of clockwork kitchen timers but found them to be too
quiet to ensure that I was awoken.

I also have found that the radar is not the complete answer due to
rain, squalls and large waves. Hopefully the AIS receiver I installed
earlier will provide a not perfect but better answer. After receiving
confirmation of Larry's advice that I can install a more powerful
piezzo alarm than the little one it was supplied with I bought a truck
reversing one ($7) to make it different to the others and thus
instantly identifiable.

regards.
Peter