Herodotus Herodotus is offline

Default Soul searching about a sailor in trouble

On Sat, 26 Jul 2008 15:09:32 +0000, Larry wrote:

"Roger Long" wrote in
:

The paper reports that it was the
third time he had required assistance in 36 hours so I don't feel
quite so bad about checking him out. If the USCG didn't notice
something wrong the first two times, I probably wouldn't have been
able to justify getting them involved just by making a close pass.

CG screwed up. They should have confiscated his boat on the 2ND call and
put him before a judge to have his competency tested by a shrink.

Of course, we COULD have some SANE laws that says NOONE OVER 60 SAILS
ALONE......which is fairly obvious, but we'd rather risk CG sailor's lives
than screw with the elite's right to be stupid.

I'm 62. I don't give a **** how "fit" a 60-year-old is, in his
mind....Jack La Lane shouldn't be out sailing alone over 60....maybe over
50!

Hey Larry,
I'm 60. I don't file a voyage plan; I don't tell anyone when to expect
me; I don't expect to get any help if I have a heart attack or similar
and so far I have managed to solve all my difficulties myself.

I do have heath checkups before I leave but fully accept that I may
die of the unpredictable.

I for one would resent any law you suggest. Last night I had dinner
with a 46 year old friend who had a heart attack, though outwardly
healthy looking, at age 42.

I shall continue to sail alone until, or if, I find someone compatible
to sail with.

If you prevent me from doing so I shall likely morph into another
Wilbur and plague your houses via this newsgroup.

regards
Peter