Bruce in Bangkok[_7_] Bruce in Bangkok[_7_] is offline

Default Piracy map

On Tue, 29 Jul 2008 14:19:35 -0700, Gordon wrote:

blubaju wrote:
Hello Roger,

well in the US there is a ruling almost as bad and ONLY against
foreign visiting yacht, a ruling that lets you think you ended up in
North Vietnam, China or Russia at cold war days, but it is newly
implemented by Homeland Security.

US-yachts in Europe are entitled for a 18 months stay, the skipper
secured a Schengen Visa and is free to move within all Schengen treaty
countries, generally speaking, that is entire EU without GB (not
exactly, but from a sailors view)

A EU-registered yacht visiting US must report in advance, undergo a
security screening that let's you feel being a criminal AND - and this
is the point - must report at every harbor master wherever she wants
to anchor or dock en route. Even when staying in the same area, every
movement must be reported in advance, the fines are more than heavy, I
read US$ 5.000 for the first offense, doubling for the next.

http://www.noonsite.com/Members/doina/R2008-02-07-1

Many EU-yachts do not take the risk and burden and wait for better
days. I wanted to sail round Pacific next year, starting Far East, but
wasting so much time with daily reports keeps me away, despite many
friends waiting in Southern California.

Seems Osama Bin Laden has won, US is frightened to death, I am sorry
to say.

Henry

I go to the CBP website and find none of the above. Things are the
same as always. Coming from out of country, you phone customs and they
meet you at a port of entry. They ask a few questions, look at your
papers, and clear you thru. You are then free to go where you please and
only have to report again if you leave the country and then return. Same
as always.
Had a Japanese gentleman arrive in Port Angeles the other day and he
was cleared in about 15 minutes. Took him 51 days to get here from Japan.
Gordon

From: http://www.fort-lauderdale-marine-di...cgadvisory.php

USCG To Enforce Advance Notice of Arrival Regulations
U.S. Coast Guard Public Advisory Update

UPDATE: On 5/26/2004 we received this update from Frank Herhold:

Conversations with the USCG subsequent to the May 21, 2004 bulletin
have revealed additional information regarding the 96-Hour Advance
Notice of Arrival (ANOA) regulation. The regulation, adopted in
February 28, 2003, includes a correction made by the USCG. The
correction was included in the Federal Register on November 10, 2003
and amended the regulation to clarify exempt vessels.

We are pleased to announce that U.S. recreational vessels are exempt
from the ANOA requirements.

Envirocare and MIASF received final confirmation this morning from
Captain of the Port Jim Watson that ALL US flagged recreational
vessels are exempt from the Notice of Arrival requirements.

The site goes on to describe in detail the regulations that apply to
foreign vessels entering US waters and the advance notice, etc.,
required.

Has this changed?

Bruce-in-Bangkok