Vic Smith Vic Smith is offline

Default Autopsy Report on Cruis'n Rulz!

On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 10:36:35 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

On Jul 28, 12:53?pm, Vic Smith
wrote:
On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 09:15:29 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

Not sure I'd be comfortable with that. ?Never heard of anyone homing a
cylinder with the piston still in. ?Honing is primarily to create a
surface for new rings to break in against. ?You are not replacing the
rings and you do not have compression problems. ?Honing also produces
a great deal of metal dust that is very difficult to remove if the
piston is in the way. ?A lot of it is going to get trapped in the gap
between the piston and the cylinder walls. ?If you want to hone the
cylinders you need to remove the block and the pistons and also
replace the rings.

The last bottom end I did (352) also needed ridge reaming, but it had
a lot more time (miles) on it. ?That leaves substantial shavings.
I didn't notice metal from doing the crosshatching, but the hone
leaves grit, which is no better.
A good blasting with compressed air around the gap should blow it out.

--Vic

Sorry, I'm still thinking that honing a cylinder with the piston in is
not a good idea.

Me too, but it ain't my boat and I ain't doing the job.
For all I know he knows a hell of lot more than me about it.
I just wish JR luck and hope all goes well.
Have to keep a positive attitude (-:

--Vic