[email protected] JamesGangNC@gmail.com is offline

Default Autopsy Report on Cruis'n Rulz!

On Jul 28, 12:53*pm, Vic Smith
wrote:
On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 09:15:29 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

Not sure I'd be comfortable with that. *Never heard of anyone homing a
cylinder with the piston still in. *Honing is primarily to create a
surface for new rings to break in against. *You are not replacing the
rings and you do not have compression problems. *Honing also produces
a great deal of metal dust that is very difficult to remove if the
piston is in the way. *A lot of it is going to get trapped in the gap
between the piston and the cylinder walls. *If you want to hone the
cylinders you need to remove the block and the pistons and also
replace the rings.

The last bottom end I did (352) also needed ridge reaming, but it had
a lot more time (miles) on it. *That leaves substantial shavings.
I didn't notice metal from doing the crosshatching, but the hone
leaves grit, which is no better.
A good blasting with compressed air around the gap should blow it out.

--Vic

Sorry, I'm still thinking that honing a cylinder with the piston in is
not a good idea.