steveJ

Default project planning example

I wasn't so much thinking of those things as "benefits" as much as
FACTORS that will effect the task performance in a way that will effect
time, quality and value. One could perhaps ask the question..what
sequence of construction will be the MOST FUN to perform?...or...what
combination of tasks will be least boring to concentrate on. For
instance, would it be better to break up a long tedious process like
sanding into smaller chunks interspersed with other more interesting
tasks? Would the final project turn out higher quality or be completed
more quickly...or completed at all!
I agree that the program could be useful as an organizational tool for
writing sequential instructions.

William R. Watt wrote:
steveJ ) writes:

As a criticism though, I would suggest that the process considers tasks
only on a two dimensional overlapping linear configuration that fails to
take into consideration things like instinct, experience, enjoyment, and
emotion. This third dimension is always present but is difficult to
quantify. Yet it is a key component of the success of any project.

the programs don't even record monetary benefits, only costs, let alone
emotional benefits which are difficult to put a price on, or emotional
costs which can have monetary repurcusions, eg how much does the wife get
in the divorce? you could get creative and put in various emotional
restrictions as milestones (fixed dates) and resource limitations.
experience would show up in the estimates for task durations.

you might try putting benefits in as negative costs. In the early 90's I
wrote a prototype project management program (as an exercise in learning
object oriented programming) which had a layered task structure, included
benefits, and also interest on borrowed money to better plan and monitor
projects. It was just to try out some ideas. I never put a user interface
on it.

the available programs are pretty good for making up a list of tasks and
arranging them in order though. for the amateur builder with little
experience the exercise can provide insight and a pretty good plan. for
the designer selling boat plans to amateurs I think a project plan would
be a helpful thing to include as part of the boatbuilding plan.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm