bowgus

Default project planning example

Ranting aside (one full day at the end of each month is spent reconciling on
average 6 plans to which I add my tasks), I have always enjoyed coming up
with the plan. For example, how's this for torture, after reading up on
Gantt a few years back :-) I used a VAX text editor to create a plan, and
track progress through the good old histogram approach as in ...

Task1 (xxxxx)
Task2 (xxxxx)

Ok ... so, I recommend if you have MS Project, and you're like to give it a
try for scheduling something, hit the old F1 Help, and work your way through
the tutorial ... and when you're done, imo, you will have the big picture,
and by doing so, have found tasks you might well have not thought of ...
measure twice, cut once.

Ok, so on with the program ,,,

struct Boat {float well_duh; long about_32_ft; .... };

"William R. Watt" wrote in message
steveJ ) writes:

As a criticism though, I would suggest that the process considers tasks
only on a two dimensional overlapping linear configuration that fails to
take into consideration things like instinct, experience, enjoyment, and
emotion. This third dimension is always present but is difficult to
quantify. Yet it is a key component of the success of any project.

the programs don't even record monetary benefits, only costs, let alone
emotional benefits which are difficult to put a price on, or emotional
costs which can have monetary repurcusions, eg how much does the wife get
in the divorce? you could get creative and put in various emotional
restrictions as milestones (fixed dates) and resource limitations.
experience would show up in the estimates for task durations.

you might try putting benefits in as negative costs. In the early 90's I
wrote a prototype project management program (as an exercise in learning
object oriented programming) which had a layered task structure, included

benefits, and also interest on borrowed money to better plan and monitor
projects. It was just to try out some ideas. I never put a user interface
on it.

the available programs are pretty good for making up a list of tasks and
arranging them in order though. for the amateur builder with little
experience the exercise can provide insight and a pretty good plan. for
the designer selling boat plans to amateurs I think a project plan would
be a helpful thing to include as part of the boatbuilding plan.

----
William R Watt National Capital FreeNet Ottawa's free community

network
homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm