rude

Default Cleaning and painting bilge

I agree, clean the bilge and spend the money elsewhere, what about your
sails, or antifouling?

Acetone and similar solvents are harmful to human tissue and for fire and
explosion risk (I am a safety person by trade), only use this stuff if you
really, really have to. This situation doesn't sound like a "have to" to me.
Ventilation won't help, neither will a respirator. You will still have a 35'
bomb to deal with.

Use good quality detergent mixed with warm water and a brush. This will most
likely give a far superior job anyway to any solvent. Another con, is the
acetone will open the surface of the 'glass on the inside, possibly doing
more harm than good.

Have fun.

Rod.

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
ink.net...
Ilv2sl writes:

While we have our 35' glass sloop, out of the water, I want to paint

the
bilge,
and have a few questions:

snip

WHY? ? ?

Trying to get the bilge clean enough so you could paint it will be a real
challenge.

If you get it clean, you'll need a couple of coats of high build epoxy
primer.

This is not the same epoxy as laminating resin.

Trust me, brush or sprayer, applying this stuff if a PITA. I speak from
experience having applied a fair amount of HBP. It contains VOC's and
requires a proper respirator.

After it has cured, what have you accomplished?

My suggestion:

Use the money to buy a couple of cases of "Two Buck Chuck" or your

favorite
beer, relax and enjoy it.

The bilge will still be functional.

HTH

--
Lew

S/A: Challenge, The Bullet Proof Boat, (Under Construction in the

Southland)
Visit: http://home.earthlink.net/~lewhodgett for Pictures