William R. Watt

Default Polyester or Epoxy?

"Lew Hodgett" ) writes:
Subject

Someone mentioned mixing 1/2 teaspoon amounts of resin.

Good grief, takes more resin than that to get a chip brush wet so you can go
to work.

That person must be in the micro mini model building business, not boat
building.

the more resin you put on a boat the heavier it is.
the heavier a boat is the slower it goes.
the heavier a boat is the less enjoyable it is to pick up and carry.

yep, I do mix resin in 1/2 teaspoons and spread it on plywood seams with a
toothpick to seal them, two coats. I also don't tape seams but just round
them off with sandpaper and spread on two coats of resin with the same
reusable toothpick to seal. Photos on my website.

when I want less than 1/2 teaspoon of resin I resort to epoxy which can be
mixed a drop of resin and a drop of hardner at at time.

I also use resins on things other than boats, like rust spots on the car.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm