William R. Watt

Default Polyester or Epoxy?

P.C. Ford ) writes:

......and is not a marine glue.

"marine glue"? its water resistent, not water proof. the label on the tube
says not to use it in construction "below grade". however plastic resin
glue is also water resistent and not water proof and I use it too as have
many other boatbuilders over the years. one of my polyurethane-glued boats
(Loonie) is not kept in the water. it is kept on on pegs on my garage wall
and transported to the water on top of the car for an afternoon outing. I
have another polyurethane-glued boat (Delta) that stayed outside its first
year off the ground but covered in 3 feet of snow in winter. in spring
snow melts bottom up which kept the hull wet for days on end. the gunwles
got pretty soft. there has been no problem with the polyurethane adhesive.
I had room to keep that boat inside this winter but in the spring its
going outside again. there are photos of both boats on my website showing
how they are used.

If I build another one of these small boats I'll certainly use the PL
Premuim again.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm