posted to rec.boats.building
[email protected] jimchuffff@googlemail.com is offline

Default Floorboards

Hi all,
On the assumption that my boat stays above the waves long enough,
my next job is to put in floors. I've landed myself the job of
removing a library full of oak shelving which should do the job
nicely, but I;m not too sure what the best way of joining them
together or sticking them down would be - I've laid permeable
bubblewrap style insulation under the floor (over the ribs/joists, off
the bottom of the hull) and I could do with advice as to what to do
next - as I see it my options include:
- nail/screw the planks to the joists through the insulation
- nail/screw/glue the planks to crossways bits of wood lying on top of
the insulation (the whole floor would not be attached to the joists,
but this is a predominantly inland waterways boat, so it shouldnt get
too shaken up)
- biscuit joint the floor together into one big slab
- get the planks tongued and grooved and clip them together

My woodworking skills have not had a chance to develop yet, so nothing
too technical would be good.

thanks in advance,

Jim Potter