Jere Lull Jere Lull is offline

Default dock lines - cleaning

On 2008-07-23 09:35:00 -0400, Rosalie B. said:

Jere Lull wrote:

(You *do* splice loops in both ends of your "home" lines so your crew
simply has to drop the lines on, don't you?)

Bob has the loops on one end.snip

If you have loops on both ends, how do you adjust the length? When we
leave the boat, we leave it adjusted to the middle of the slip (with
spring lines) so when we come to get on the boat, we slacken the lines
on one side so that the boat can come over to the pier and we can get
on. How can you do that with loops on both ends?

I carefully set our lines at "home" as loose as I could without
allowing the boat to contact any of the pilings or docks, but *lots* of
slack so we could drift backwards. Then I powered the boat every which
way I could to ensure most unreasonable winds wouldn't blow us into
anything. That determined the length of the lines I made up.

The "outside" stern line has two loops: one for while we're away, one
that allows us to bring the boat to the finger pier.

Works great for us.

Isabelle proved that I got it almost right. The surge was within inches
of needing to cut the shortest line, but we otherwise survived by just
moving the lines to the tops of the pilings and pinning them with nails.

Come the next storm storm, I flip the boat end-for-end and add the two
new lines to the next pilings over for the stern. If *they* need
adjusting, boating on the Bay will no longer exist, as Isabelle
exceeded the worst surge in 75 years and wasn't far off from destroying
everything.

Our home lines (of which there are 14)

I don't believe I've seen a boat or slip situation that required 14
lines under normal conditions. Six: two bow, two stern, and two spring
(to keep the bow off the dock) should be all that's required. NO
springs to keep the boat from drifting back, as it just won't move that
far. [I do have a short "spring" that I set on the "inside" main winch
to give me positive control. That's the first to cut, of course, if the
other longer lines are set.]

Then again, we're small, our dock lines relatively large, and our
slip's relatively wide.

--
Jere Lull