Meindert Sprang

Default Polyester or Epoxy?

"William R. Watt" wrote in message

I don't think anyone would recommend polyester as an adhesive.

Noone should, but is happens. I once bought plan for a 15 sailing dinghy.
The building method specified was stich and glue, using glass tape and......
polyester.

However I
think you'll find plastic resin or polyurethane cheaper than epoxy and all
that is needed in a good many situtations, from laminating to
screwed-and-glued chine battens. I use the least cost adhesvie for the job
which means I have used epoxy in some situations.

I don't like polyurethane. It needs high clamping force, just like
resorcinol. I tried to laminate a stem once, using PU glue. Didn't work.
It's simply impossible to clamp 10 layers of mahogany around a mould AND
apply a pressure of at least 4 kg/cm2 on ALL layers.

Meindert