William R. Watt

Default Polyester or Epoxy?

"Meindert Sprang" ) writes:
"William R. Watt" wrote in message
no argument there. the question is when do you NEED the superior
qualities of epoxy?

Well, that's simple. I once tried to bond two pieces of mahogany together,
using glass mat and polyester. After curing, I could peel the stuff off,
something that I have never been able to do when using epoxy and cloth. So I
guess this is where you NEED epoxy.

I don't think anyone would recommend polyester as an adhesive. However I
think you'll find plastic resin or polyurethane cheaper than epoxy and all
that is needed in a good many situtations, from laminating to
screwed-and-glued chine battens. I use the least cost adhesvie for the job
which means I have used epoxy in some situations.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm