William R. Watt

Default Polyester or Epoxy?

the materials characteristics of vinylester are between polyester and
epoxy: stength, flexibility, thermal stability, etc. I think Dave Gerr
gives the numbers in "Elements of Boat Strength".

SteveJ ) writes:
Well we all hear quite a bit about the evils and wonders of both
polyester and epoxy. But what about vinylester? Any one ever use
that? I'm curious because
I saw a vinylester/kevlar canoe prototype by Mad River Canoes that was
20 years old, light as a feather and showed hardly a scratch though it
had been dragged through gravel for years
SteveJ

Richard Lamb wrote in message ...
Ron Thornton wrote:

Hey Richard, just out of curiosity for the polyester crowd, how many
aircraft builders, hobby and commercial do you know of that ust
polyester?

regards, Ron

I don't recieve e-mail at this address because of spam. E-mail me
at crtsrATmsnDOTcom.

Not a single one anymore...

Even most of the kit manufacturers have changed over to epoxy.

OTOH, there is a growing use of vinyl ester resin.
It is catalized and works a lot like polyester, but with better
chemical resistance and much better physical properties.

Richard

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm