William R. Watt

Default Polyester or Epoxy?

*you* can say epoxy is necessary all you want but *you* just don't know.
you might think you are qualified but you don't have any application data
to support your preference. what you have is material characteristics data
and anecdotal application tales. before this question can be settled
someone will have to do application testing. I doubt anyone would be
interested.

let me give you an example. the material characterisitcs of different
paints are known, but the performance of different paints under different
conditons are not. that is why the Post Office has to paint test mail boxes
with the different paints and leave them outside for years to see how they
perform. as an engineer with knowledge of the design and analysis of
experiments you'll appreciate its more complicated than just painting and
putting them outside.

its not just the materials characteristics that matter. it is the
combination of materials under varying conditions.

polyester lives.
long live polyester.

Ron Thornton ) writes:
No William, the question is are you qualified to make an informed
decision as to whether poly is good enough. I think not because I like
many others here, none of use having any interest in selling epoxy that
I know of, have worked with this stuff professionally for years at a
technical and engineering level and I doubt that any of us would be
willing to just look at all but the most obvious applications and know
whether epoxy was needed instead of polyester. You can say poly is good
enough all you want but the truth is that you don't really know. All we
are saying is that with todays price difference it is more affordable
than ever to go with epoxy and add an additional margin to a repair or
build.

please go back and re-read what I wrote. epxoy doubles the cost of a
small boat.

epoxy has been so overpromoted that people use it to sheath boats that
would be fine just painted.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm