posted to rec.boats.building
cavelamb himself[_4_] cavelamb himself[_4_] is offline

Default Questions about Git-Rot

Bill wrote:

On Jul 21, 11:03 pm, den wrote:

Another shipboard item that works on the road.
For an insidious leak nothing beats 3M 5200 Adsive / Sealant. Very
expensive, but worth every dollar. The UNIFLITE people used it to glue
2 2X4's together to make a 4X4.
A friend had a partly rusted out roof on his van, and a few squirts
of 5200 fared in sealed it up better than original.
I had a '60 Owens 35' carvel planked, with a rotted bow. Used the
git-rot to address the rotten wood, then fit and epoxied new wood to
pretty it up. Had the boat for 13 years, and never saw any more of
that kind of problem. Of course took to washing down with salt water
once a week which I do NOT recommend for you!

Good luck on your project.
Den

http://www.densnet.net

Very cool! I'm now leaning toward using panel pieces I can slip
between the frame and skin and the 3m 5200 looks like it will work
wonderfully for glueing the frame to the panel, the panel to the skin
and the individual panel pieces together.

Thanks

Bill

Yeah well, so will Liquid Nail, at much less cost...

--

Richard

(remove the X to email)