Capt. JG Capt. JG is offline

Default Proposed Discharge Permits

"Roger Long" wrote in message
"Capt. JG" wrote

It's an interesting situation, and unfortunately it reminds me of what
the Chinese gov't does. It has lots of laws on the books that it doesn't
generally enforce, but they're there, and when they like, they can
enforce them.

You've hit the nail on the head. That is exactly where we are headed. A
police state is one where anyone in a uniform can pull you in on a whim
any time they feel like it. That can't be done here because we have this
thing called a constitution. However, if you can get the public to accept
all sorts of laws on the "Oh, they'll never bother enforcing that." basis,
then the police can invoke them any time.

Boaters are gradually making some progress in the anchoring battle that
has been going on in Florida for years. What do you think the towns and
police will do when they figure out that they have these EPA permit
regulations to work with?

0400 There is the clomping of heavy boots on your deck. "It's been
reported that a water discharge was seen coming from your boat. We're
here to inspect your dish detergent and piping system. Ah, we see that
you are using Joy instead of the best available non-phosphate brand.
You've been anchored here two weeks. Your fine will be $384,000. Your EPA
permit is now revoked and we are towing your boat to the nearest shipyard
to be removed from the water."

Nobody is going to enforce this stuff because they give a **** about water
quality. It will be used like a lot of laws to pursue other agendas. It
won't happen often and it won't be a significant risk to any individual
boater, probably less than the hazards we routinely accept. But, doesn't
it disturb people here to see this nation which is creating so much death
and suffering in the name of "freedom" going down this path? This EPA
stuff is just one example.

--
Roger Long

I think we're a ways off from this, but it's a slippery slope. People tend
to think, for example, that scum like terrorists should be hanged
immediately or held indefinitely without a trial (e.g., gitmo), but this is
the precipice of a very slippery slope that may start with good intentions
and ends with jackboots.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com