William R. Watt

Default Polyester or Epoxy?

Ron Thornton ) writes:

Allan, the bottom line is that it is historically well established thru
industry testing, both lab and field, that epoxy is superior to
polyester in most ways except price. No amount of anecdotal evidence or
backyard observations as put forth by the polyester crowd will change
that.

no argument there. the question is when do you NEED the superior
qualities of epoxy?

there are other questions about toxicity and so forth but the question
that most interests me is when epoxy is NEEDED. I've used it as an
adhesive in small quantities and to seal seams in some cases. If I used it
instead of polyester and polyurethane on the small boats I've made it
would double the price with no benefit I can imagine. everything has its
place. I don't consider epoxy to be the only product to use. No amount of
anecdotal evidence or backyard observations as put forward by the epoxy crowd
will change that.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm