Roger Long Roger Long is offline

Default Proposed Discharge Permits

"Capt. JG" wrote

It's an interesting situation, and unfortunately it reminds me of what the
Chinese gov't does. It has lots of laws on the books that it doesn't
generally enforce, but they're there, and when they like, they can enforce
them.

You've hit the nail on the head. That is exactly where we are headed. A
police state is one where anyone in a uniform can pull you in on a whim any
time they feel like it. That can't be done here because we have this thing
called a constitution. However, if you can get the public to accept all
sorts of laws on the "Oh, they'll never bother enforcing that." basis, then
the police can invoke them any time.

Boaters are gradually making some progress in the anchoring battle that has
been going on in Florida for years. What do you think the towns and police
will do when they figure out that they have these EPA permit regulations to
work with?

0400 There is the clomping of heavy boots on your deck. "It's been
reported that a water discharge was seen coming from your boat. We're here
to inspect your dish detergent and piping system. Ah, we see that you are
using Joy instead of the best available non-phosphate brand. You've been
anchored here two weeks. Your fine will be $384,000. Your EPA permit is now
revoked and we are towing your boat to the nearest shipyard to be removed
from the water."

Nobody is going to enforce this stuff because they give a **** about water
quality. It will be used like a lot of laws to pursue other agendas. It
won't happen often and it won't be a significant risk to any individual
boater, probably less than the hazards we routinely accept. But, doesn't it
disturb people here to see this nation which is creating so much death and
suffering in the name of "freedom" going down this path? This EPA stuff is
just one example.

--
Roger Long