posted to rec.boats.building
sal sal is offline

Default Apply Epoxy to the Cuts in Scored Core Material

Hi when applying epoxy to penetrate an material I always thin it with
Acetone which carries the epoxy into the material. The second coat use
normal mix epoxy, works for me.

Sal

"Jay Chan" wrote in message
I want to know the proper way to apply epoxy on scored core material.
Scored core material has many cuts on both sides to allow it to be
bent slightly. I am under the impression that I need to apply epoxy
inside the cuts. The method that I have come across in web site is to
lay the scored core material on a piece of 10" PVC pipe to expose the
cuts; then we can apply epoxy into the cuts. This sounds good. I cut
a 5-gal bucket in half (that is around 10" diameter), and layed the
scored core material (Corecell) on top of it. But I found that the
cuts were not opened that much, and I had a problem getting epoxy into
the cuts. I could only manage to get the epoxy only half way into the
cuts. I ended up opening the cuts by hand; but this would easily
cause the core material to get separated along the cuts, and this was
not convenient.

My questions a

o Is 10" diameter pipe too wide? Which size do you
recommend?

o Do I need to use very thin penetrating epxoy instead of
thickening it? I thought I am supposed to thicken it
first before adding it to the cuts.

o Is applying epoxy to 1/2 depth of a cut good enough?
Do I need to apply epoxy to the full depth of the cut?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Jay Chan