[email protected] tsmwebb@gmail.com is offline

Default Advice on refridgeration unit please

On Jul 19, 7:37*pm, Larry wrote:
I heard a noise about taking the VOLTAGE REGULATOR off the alternator
and putting a manual current control on the field winding so it can be
"cranked up" to whatever charging current some idiot wants. *

That's just suicidal. I didn't see that suggestion, but it would be
absolutely insane and I hope that I didn't write anything that would
suggest otherwise.
I'm in FULL AGREEMENT of 14.2 to 14.8V REGULATED VOLTAGE charging....the
way the damned alternator was delivered. *BUT, alas, this will NOT
recharge those batteries in an hour! *...

Quite. But at lest with my batteries I do get a days worth of power
out of an hours charging (to be fair we usually get some sun on at
least some of the panels during the day, too).

... *Of course, in the wonderful AGM
battery you cannot MEASURE the specific gravity of the soaked up gauze
electrolyte so you have no idea of its charge condition.

To be sure. But, what I do know is that I've got enough amps to run
my stuff. Including the HF radio that demands voltage in excess of
12.

Battery charging takes 14 hours......REALLY! *You cannot get 90% from
50% using a NORMAL, voltage regulated alternator in 60
minutes...CHEMISTRY won't allow it. ...

I'm not claiming to get to 90% or even very exactly 80%. I am using a
normal voltage regulated alternator (well they're regulated
externally, but regulated none the less). I am able to put a
substantial and useful charge into my batteries in an hour. That's
just the way it is. Maybe it has something to do with the physical
make up of the batteries, maybe I'm using a smaller percentage of them
than I think I am (or than the controller is reporting). Whatever. I
don't know the why's. I'm not an expert. I did hire an expert to put
the system together and it works.

This will soon change as we leave these 1885-era chemical monstrosities
behind us. *A fantastic technology is coming. *You charge it at a
thousand times its AH rating for SIXTY SECONDS to 80% charge and 3
minutes to 100%! *Read hehttp://www.physorg.com/news3539.html

Man, that looks cool. Super-capcitor charge times with 1k cycle plus
life span deep cycling. Yes, yes, yes. Only problem I can see is that
it will cost more than my boat.

-- Tom.