[email protected] tsmwebb@gmail.com is offline

Default Advice on refridgeration unit please

On Jul 19, 7:34*pm, Larry wrote:
" wrote in news:b2e0cf11-1ba5-4e82-
:

Also, I don't follow you point. *Are you saying 2.4Kw is too much
power for any battery bank or were you making a specific point?

Think about the heat from 2,400 watts, about twice what comes out of an
electric heater turned up full....but now confined really hard inside the
rolled up lead and gauze of an AGM battery sealed inside a plastic tube.

Seems to me that most of the energy must go into the chemical
reaction. As the heat builds up the internal resistance will go up
and the voltage will go up and the controller will reduce the amps...
No? Anyway, there's no way that that much heat is being produced.
The batteries are cool to the touch when charging, so there is
something wrong with you analysis. Also, just so you know, my AGM are
made of rectangles of lead and glass sandwiched together. No tubes.

2400 watts is a LOT of power! *It will also create a LOT of HYDROGEN GAS
once the surface charge of all those amps insulates the plates from their
SLOW CHEMICAL ACTION OF 14 HOUR NORMAL CHARGING!

You're yelling, dude. Given how long my batteries have lasted I don't
think they can be outgassing all that much hydrogen. I also think you
need to look at a charging curve. Yes, getting to 100% charge takes a
long time, but the curve is nowhere near linear. Most of the time
involved is taken going from ~80-100% and the charge rates at that end
are very small (ending at less than an amp). However, from ~50%-80%
the charge rates are quite high particularly with AGMs which have low
internal resistance.

Yeah, I'm saying 2400 watts is WAY too much power....

Regardless of battery bank size? Pity the poor diesel-electric
submarine boys, it must take them years to charge their batteries.

same old crap a boater
trying to recharge dead house batteries in an hour a day.....geez.

I'm not trying to completely recharge them in an hour a day. I am
getting a useful charge into them in an hour a day and fully
recharging them periodically. This has been working well for me for
some years now. I'm just reporting the facts, friend. There's no
need to yell. I'm listening to you, but I haven't seen much signal in
your noise yet.

-- Tom.