claus claus is offline

Default nmea - talkers - listeners and lessons learned.

"Josh Assing" wrote in message
The SR161 can be used to consolidate incoming NMEA positional data from a
GPS with the AIS NMEA data into a combined high-speed data stream on a
single serial port.

In that scenario there is no need for any multiplexer.

but how does it talk to other non-high speed nmea devices then?

The AIS only "talks" with either
a)a PC with chart plotting software that can show AIS or
b) directly to a chartplotter that can show AIS.

For example, on our boat the SR161's combined output goes to a PC with
Coastal Explorer software. In turn, Coastal Explorer and the PC outputs NMEA
(4800 Baud) to our Raynav Chartplotter and from there to all other
instrumentation onboard via RayMarine's proprietary Seatalk network.

Hope this helps. If I could I would send you a diagram - but I don't have a
scanner.... :-(