Bruce in Bangkok[_7_] Bruce in Bangkok[_7_] is offline

Default Advice on refridgeration unit please

On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 09:46:57 +1000, Herodotus
wrote:

On Fri, 18 Jul 2008 18:32:48 +0700, Bruce in Bangkok
wrote:

Thanks Bruce,
This is the sort of information I am looking for.

It's a pity about the wind in that area. I always have to smile when I
see people hiring the Sunsail yachts out of Langkawi and then motoring
everywhere. Still, not a bad place to motor around the Islands and
then up to Siam.

In Curacao the trades blow non-stop. Even disconnected from the mains
and relying on the one 80 watt solar panel (16 years old) and the new
Airex wind generator, it keeps the batteries charged no matter my
usuage and the charging light goes off indicating a full charge quite
often during the day.

Need some of those trades back home.

cheers
Peter

(A bunch cut)

Following is information from the Catamaran Guy I mentioned.

Boat - 35 ft. Cat.
Engines - 2 X 3 cyl. Yanmar, standard Alternators (probably about 50
amp)
Solar Panels - 2 X 68 Watt (new Japanese) measured output 10.2 amps at
noon
Wind Generator - none
Fridge - Built in Eutetic, Fridge only
Insulation - Approx 7-8 cm. insulation, believe standard closed cell
foam
Compressor - Isotherm Classic Compact 12VDC/220VAC (uses inverter)
Condenser - Water cooled, 12VDC pump
Inverter - CLD Inverter, powers fridge and also acts as controller for
fridge system - owner says not used for boat power
Batteries - 3 X 120 AH = 360 AH
Water System - 12VDC pressure
Lights - All LED ------------------------------

Service:
4 day sailing trip: Ran engines as required, probably average of 3
hours per day, no problems with maintaining batteries at 90% or
higher.

At anchor: One week at anchor, did not run engines, ran fridge, radio,
lights, computer, etc., batteries never under 90% charge.

Comments:
Stephen, the fridge guy, feels that system is unduly complex with
water cooled condenser and inverter. Feels that straight 12VDC, air
cooled condenser, would be less trouble. Owner admits that had initial
problems with system, mainly electrical (inverter/controller).

Owner says on 4 day trip kept thermostat at 15 degrees C. Tries to
keep fridge full and ice on cold plate. Frequently charters bare boat
and says all charters have reported no problems with fridge.

Suggestions: Think that Stephen is right. Seems senseless to run 12VDC
through inverter to power 220 VAC compressor. Always some losses in
this type of system. Believe that air cooled condenser makes more
sense as personal experience shows that 12 VDC air cooled system works
in tropical climate and eliminates all the problems associated with
the water cooling system - pumps, clogging, etc.

If you need any more data let me know and I'll go down to Stephen's
shop and talk with him.

Do note the ALL LED lighting.

Bruce-in-Bangkok