Herodotus Herodotus is offline

Default Advice on refridgeration unit please

On Fri, 18 Jul 2008 10:21:49 -0400, Ryk
wrote:

On Fri, 18 Jul 2008 10:29:29 +1000, in message

Herodotus wrote:

I have spent a considerable amount of time researching its replacement
and am considering the Isotherm ASU 3751 with the self pumping heat
exchanger around the galley through hull. I assume that the inside air
temperature of the boat would exclude an air cooled (cheaper and no
plumbing and no possibility of corrosion of the special sea cock).

I installed an air cooled Isotherm ASU 3 years ago and have been very
happy with the performance. I thought about the self pumping heat
exchanger but decided I didn't need it on the Great Lakes. The power
consumption seems to be about 15 amp hours per day on 25C days, but
that will vary enormously with installation specifics.

I would be inclined to believe their recommendations for the self pump
in tropical applications, although you might ask about the potential
for an upgrade. The basic units are the same, so you might be able to
try the air cooled version and move to the self pump water cooled if
needed.

The ASU feature seems to save a lot by running full out when the
engine is on, but I have no measurements to prove it.

As an engineer I think the self pump design is very elegant, and am
inclined to install one just for that reason.

Ryk

Hi Ryk,
Thanks for this as I don't know how real the company's power usage
figures are and at what outside temperature they are quoted for.

I note that the one I am looking at states that it is for a
refridgerator, not a freezer. However an optional extra is an ice
making tray. Does this mean that one could have a small freezer
compartment overflowing to a larger fridge one. A freezer would be
great but not vital. Iced water would be nice though.

cheers
Peter