DK DK is offline

Default Porsche Gas Mileage

Calif Bill wrote:
"Eisboch" wrote in message
news
"DK" wrote in message
Eisboch wrote:
In these days of high fuel prices and being "green", I love it when
people smugly comment about how my 911 TT must be "terrible"
in terms of gas mileage.

Today, for kicks, I reset the car computer that calculates MPG as I
entered
onto a limited access highway heading back from the Cape.
I drove for approximately 35 minutes, at speeds ranging from 60 -75 mph,
mostly 65-70 mph. I didn't do anything special in terms of driving
techniques ... just drove normally.

At the end of the 35 minutes, the computer calculated mileage display
read "28.9 mpg".
My "normal" average of combined around town and highway driving is
usually about
20-21 mpg unless I have done some sustained "spirited" driving.

Not bad, all things considered, and the look on people's faces when I
tell
them what it gets for mileage is usually one of disbelief.

It really is an amazing car, given 445hp, it's performance and it's fuel
economy.
I should drive it all the time.

Eisboch

I'd be very happy with 20mpg. My X5 4.8 has horrible gas mileage - 18
average. We did order the Z4 3.0si - not as a replacement - and it is
advertised as 18/27. It will be interesting to see what the real number
is.

I think the Porsche's advantage is light weight, aerodynamics and an
engine that is basically loafing along at 75 mph.
It isn't even breathing hard, the turbos aren't doing anything and it's
operating at a fraction of it's capability.

Eisboch

Looking at new car for SWMBO. Liked the Acura MDX, and find out mileage is
12-18 mpg. Looking at a Saturn Vue Hybrid, but waiting until the 09's come
out to see if they are better. Supposedly different hybrid scheme. Coming
back from Oakland last night the Diesel truck got 17.3. Some freeway, some
hill driving.

I rented a Saturn Outlook and was impressed. I can't vouch for the fuel
economy or tow rating.