Bruce in Bangkok[_7_] Bruce in Bangkok[_7_] is offline

Default Advice on refridgeration unit please

On Fri, 18 Jul 2008 12:00:29 +1000, Herodotus
wrote:

On Fri, 18 Jul 2008 07:45:40 +0700, Bruce in Bangkok
wrote:

A while ago I talked to Stephan, our local refrigeration expert, who
recommends having a look at the new variable speed compressor units.
He used to build and recommend eutectic installations but says that
the new 12 Volt compressors use so little electricity that he now
recommends them.

Temperature - I have a 12 volt, air cooled condenser, unit with
the condenser mounted under the cockpit floor. It has worked for the
past 15 years with no problems.

If you really, really, can't find any good information on the variable
speed units let me know and I'll take a drive down to Stephan's place
and get you more info.

As I'm sure you are aware, a real sailor will eat nothing but salt
junk and ship's biscuit. None of this namby-pamby refrigerated stuff
for he man, AND, since you don't drink beer you have even less need
for a fridge then usual.

Bruce-in-Bangkok

Thanks Bruce,

I do believe that the variable speed compressor your local man refers
to is the same type of thing as an ASU which both Technautics and
Isotherm use. When the unit senses charging voltage it speeds up the
compressor to freeze the holding plate asap. When the charging current
goes - such as when the alternator on the engine shuts off, it senses
the battery charge and turns away much slower.

The conversation was very general but I was left with the impression
that Stephan was talking about a conventional fridge, not a cold
plate. As I understood it the compressor initially ran at full speed
but slowed as the temperature decreased or the pressure built up????

We were mainly discussing my conventional fridge and he was saying
that the new ones drew much less electricity.

Now I do know that, like your non-friend with the little appendage, I
should be eating hard tack ship's biscuits and bully beef. However,
the biscuits usually contain weevils which is why the old salts banged
them on the table in an attempt to dislodge them.

Wichity (spelling?) grubs?

Salt junk is pieces of beef thrown in a barrel of brine. When you want
to eat it you first need to soak it in fresh water for a while. Sort
of like salt fish, Ikan Garam?

Having eaten a
variety of new things in my life I am not averse to eating said
weevils but am unsure if they are halal. I do like corned beef though.
It is one of my favourite foods, especially in a fresh bread sandwich
with sliced onions so I suppose that I am partially a sailor. I refuse
point blank to use a wooden bucket though but have been known to squat
in the small, square hanging-over-the-stern opened bottom toilets on
Indonesian trading boats.

I was down in Irian Jaya and say a really nice, apparently, ex navy
powerboat. about 40 ft. that looked like it had decent size quarters
on it. Built out over the stern was an added on "head". A one metre
by one metre building, with a roof and door. Looked quite comfortable.

Question. Does your air cooled unit work much more in the tropics than
it did in more temperate climes?

I installed this one in Singapore after the old one died of corrosion.
My very old solar panels run it as long as the sun shines every day.

I would much prefer an air cooled system which, apart from being
cheaper, does not have the complication of possible electrolysis.

I seem to recall somewhere that you don't need a huge airflow for the
modern air cooled ones.

The condenser on mine is about 8-10 inches square and has a 12 volt
"muffin" fan to cool it.

cheers
Peter

Bruce-in-Bangkok