Bruce in Bangkok[_7_] Bruce in Bangkok[_7_] is offline

Default Advice on refridgeration unit please

On Fri, 18 Jul 2008 10:29:29 +1000, Herodotus
wrote:

Hi,

I need to replace my existing Tropicool eutectic refridgerator which,
as it is dependent on the ambient air temperature, is just no good for
the tropics. Quite often, the water temperature around South East Asia
and Northern Australia reaches at least 30 degrees Celsius (86 F) and
then some.

I have spent a considerable amount of time researching its replacement
and am considering the Isotherm ASU 3751 with the self pumping heat
exchanger around the galley through hull. I assume that the inside air
temperature of the boat would exclude an air cooled (cheaper and no
plumbing and no possibility of corrosion of the special sea cock).

From Defender, at $1,900 it is about $1,000 cheaper than the
Technautics one. As they seem to use the same basic compressor and
both have ASU (automatic sensing of state of charge of the electrical
system) I imagine that the only difference would be the amount of coil
surface in the holding plates.

http://www.isotherm.com/en/product?f...l OpenCommand

Any thoughts, ideas, experience etc would be gratefully received.

I know that there was a thread on refridgeration earlier but I cannot
find it. I recall an excellent article by a M Kohlmann (sp???)

regards
Peter

A while ago I talked to Stephan, our local refrigeration expert, who
recommends having a look at the new variable speed compressor units.
He used to build and recommend eutectic installations but says that
the new 12 Volt compressors use so little electricity that he now
recommends them.

Temperature - I have a 12 volt, air cooled condenser, unit with
the condenser mounted under the cockpit floor. It has worked for the
past 15 years with no problems.

If you really, really, can't find any good information on the variable
speed units let me know and I'll take a drive down to Stephan's place
and get you more info.

As I'm sure you are aware, a real sailor will eat nothing but salt
junk and ship's biscuit. None of this namby-pamby refrigerated stuff
for he man, AND, since you don't drink beer you have even less need
for a fridge then usual.

Bruce-in-Bangkok