Edward Greeley

Default Polyester or Epoxy?

Terry Spragg wrote:

I guess that's why all my 30 year old poly boats just collapsed
into piles of hairy dust in my backyard, eh? Zero strength, eh?

How do you calculate the cost benefit from this supposed longer
life for epoxy, given that the life span is still generally
indeterminate for both types under reasonable stresses? I have
heard of very few poly boats disintegrating in any remarkably
shorter time than epoxy, even in contests involving rocks and
stuff.

Such extremeist statements suggest you must be a berserker stock
market manipulator with interests and positions in the epoxy
chemicals market bordering so extremely on the insane as to
suggest you sell epoxy mainly to be able to continue to dispose
of toxic chemicals added in small amounts to the resins, just
like some shampoo vendors I suspected of doing just that until
your arguement was so strongly stated and foolishly revealed ;-)

Now, as far as skin irritation and developed allergies and
consequent lifetime sensitivities and costs associated with
respirators, deformed babies, etc, I would favour poly quite
strongly for a hobby builder, especially a relatively
inexperienced one, especially for a first build. Commercially,
the evidence is overwhelming. I cannot imagine anyone smart
enough to be able to afford the costs of epoxy being insensitive
to those cost benefit analyses so evidently performed and adhered
to by professional builders.

You just try to get an informed professional to build in epoxy
and then count the costs.

Wow! Sounds like some Canuck eco-wacko failed to get his rabies shot
when it was due. Doesn't spell too well, either: extremEist; berserkER;
arguEment; there must be a surplus of Es and Rs up there in the frozen
north, EH?