Richard Casady Richard Casady is offline

Default Trailerable sailboat question

On Tue, 15 Jul 2008 18:53:56 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

.... In all of my years of
boating I have never seen anyone trailer a sailboat to the lake, raise the
mast, and launch. Every sailboat I have ever seen either came from a slip
or
at the very least, was sitting on a trailer stored at the marina with the
mast up

Yeah, so? That doesn't mean it can't be done, just that the guys in
your neighborhood don't. Maybe they don't know how, or maybe there are
other reasons (more below).

They held a regatta at Spirit Lake, Iowa, and a dozen 38 foot boats
showed up. Class A scows. Those boats will exceed 25 MPH. Minimum
weight is 1850 pounds. Since the entire lake is less than twenty feet
deep, those guys did mast groundings. With crews of four, there is a
lot of muscle available for putting the masts up. [The boats daysail
eight nicely.]

Casady