Sensei Marc Sensei Marc is offline

Default Trailerable sailboat question

Hi Everett

I just started sailing this year, a 19 foot O'Day.

My intension was , like you, to trailer it to the ramp as needed.
My wife prefered that we get a slip, at least for this year. I have
not regretted that decision.

The boat is in the water and ready to go. I sail more often (3 to 4
time a week). The Weather is the only reason I have not gone more
often. Learning to sail as I go along, I can plan my sailing during my
work-day and then go out and execute the manouvers later that evening.
I invite friends & family to join us at a moments notice, we all have
a blast.

We will trailer the sailboat during our vacation at the end of July ,
so that we can experience a different body of water(Charleston L
Ontario is next on our list). Currently we have a slip on the Ottawa
River in Ontario (Nepean Sailing Club), we plan on moving the boat to
different sections of the river to explore over the next few years.

Make sure that you have a proper vehicle to tow the boat, I discovered
too late that my station wagon was not up to the task of pulling a
1400 lbs boat. We travel by Motor Home so pulling our sailboat should
be a breeze when on vacation but impractible otherwise.

Setting the mast up with a helper should be easy on a boat under 22
feet. Beyond that you will need some kind of mechanical help to raise
the mast. (lots of systems but best to keep it simple) Look for a
design that will be easy to step the mast.

I find that the size of our boat is ideal for us. As a day-sailer it
has a large cockpit that is comfortable with 6 adults aboard, the
small cabin is suitable for two people for one or two nights max. A
porta-potty for urgency is a must. No stove although we plan on buying
a combination stove and grill for our overnight trips. The sail plan
is simple so that I can single hand, the self furling genoa is must,
the CDI we have is troubler free and easy to use. A good 4 stroke 4 HP
motor is more than enough to push us around when the wind dies.

KISS and you will sail more often and the wife will be more willing to
participate, as mine is. She finds it sooo relaxing after a hard days
work, regardless of the wind condition. A two hour sail before bed-
time works wonders for the spirit.

BTW my neighbour has a smaller 16' open sailboat that he uses rarely
because he has to trail it. He misses opportunities because the
weather is iffy, I just go hang out at the marina & more often then
not I'm out sailing while he is sitting at home wishing he had got off
his butt. His sailing education suffers as well. When he does go out,
he struggles with his boat and motor because he hasn't enough
experience to set-it up properly or quickly. His wife now refuses to
go with him, his guests are frustrated with him because of all the
time he wastes. The best days for sailing also means that the ramp is
busy with fumbling not experienced sailors all trying to get there
boat in the water at the same time and all having a bad time to boot.

Good luck and go sailing!

Sensei Marc