Larry W4CSC

Default 24 VDC appliances?

The warning in the manual is for the carbon monoxide and to keep you
from suing them if you do what they tell you not to......

The enclosure has a big outlet where the heat comes out the end of the
genset and two intakes, one in the bottom and one near the bottom on
the end with the outlets. The plastic doesn't even get as warm as it
would sitting in the sun being eaten alive by the UV rays from the
sunshine. It runs 8 hours a day on the road all summer in a modified
tool box bolted to the back door it just fits in. It's cooler in the
cabinet than in the sun because of the volume of air the blower in it
creates....

Operating in the van, in winter, the only end that gets warm is where
the hot air comes out of it to heat my truck. I'd guess doing this
recovers near 95% of the energy of the consumed fuel.

Too bad boats don't use Deutz air-cooled diesels. You could dump the
heat overboard in the summer around the dry stack and divert it into
the cabin in winter to recover the waste heat with a
thermostatically-controlled shutter to regulate its cabin temperature
through a muffler to block the noise. I had Deutz V-16 engines
driving 200KW gensets in Iran and they were fantastic engines, even
running where the OAT was over 100F all day long! One injector
clogged in 2 years and that was our fault some idiot put the filter in
wrong. Change the oil every 150 hours and she'd just run and run
24/7/365

On 13 Jan 2004 21:51:56 -0800, (Mark) wrote:

(Larry W4CSC) wrote
My shop heater in winter is a 1KW Honda EU1000i power plant. I welded a
pipe nipple on the little exhaust port . . .

Hmm. The manual that came with my EU1000i went to great lengths in
several languages to *don't do that*! I suppose if the length was
short, not too restrictive, not near flammable materials, it could
work.

Its quiet enclosure . . . hidden away behind the cabinets.

Hmm, The EU1000i wasn't designed to operate in an enclosure, might be
hard on the plastic parts. Although big ventilation grates might make
such an installation viable.

Of course, restricting the exhaust with a long length of tubing and
letting the generator recycle a good dose of it's own (hot) cooling
air would just make it work harder and produce *more* heat g.