Brian Whatcott Brian Whatcott is offline

Default Trailerable sailboat question

On Tue, 15 Jul 2008 11:22:09 -0500, "txmxrider"
wrote:
.... I'm considering getting a
smallish (19'-23'), swing keel, water ballast, sailboat for family
recreation on local lakes. ///. I see photos and
ads for 'mast raising' systems but I have to assume that it's too much
trouble to trailer a sailboat on weekends or more people would be doing it.
Obviously it would be more involved than launching say a bass boat, but
really, how much trouble is it?

I fitted a staff to the trailer winch post, with a second winch and a
block somewhat higher than the topsides. The SC22 is a swing keel
boat.
At the ramp, I fit a crutch in the rudder gudgeons, and set the
foot of the mast in a tabernacle hinge and rest the top in the transom
crutch.

I let out the hoisting cable, and connect it to the forestay.
I attach a line to each of the lower stays, and have a crew hold one
side, and an innocent bystander the other. I prefer the bystander to
be a young woman - they invariably do as asked, without strong-arming
the line. The purpose is simply to steady the mast as it winches up,
so that it does not fall to one side or the other. The upper stays and
aft rigging remain attached. When the mast goes vertical one bystander
walks forward and holds the mast forward until the forward stay is
secured.

I can launch a ski boat off a trailer single-handed and dry foot,
paying out a long painter, which I walk round to the jetty.
That takes about 30 times less time and effort than
sailboat rigging, no doubt.

Brian W